Saturday, October 07, 2006

Going sailing

Yesterday I did something I hadn't done in a long time! I went sailing with my father and one of his friends! My father owns a little sailing boat on a lake about half an hour away from Bern.



As it was probably one of the last days of the warmer part of autumn, it was the last opportunity this year to go sailing. The boat is parked on the shore of a river that flows out of the lake. So we got it ready and drove out into the lake, where we set sails.



We had expected a normal, light wind that would allow us to sail quickly and directly to the Isle of St. Peter, where we planned to have a coffee in the restaurant. However, the wind was as strong as almost never. There were waves that were about one meter high. If you think of the eight-meter waves of Orkney now and laugh at me, let met tell you that on a very small boat one-meter waves feel pretty big! At times we really had to be careful not to fall over board. One side of the boat was almost under water and the big waves made us wet. In other words: it was great fun!



Soon it became clear we could not reach the Isle because the wind was working against us! So we came to this nice little harbour where we had a coffee made on the ship (with chocolates).



Around us a couple of Swans were looking for small fish. Out in the lake you sometimes find very aggressive swans that attack the boat and try to steal food from you.



It was probably the last day of the year when wearing a only t-shirt was possible. A fact hard to take only two weeks after burning on the beaches of Spain …



When we left the harbour to return, the wind was almost gone and we enjoyed a warm evening sun!

3 comments:

Eli "Hey PEOPLE!!!" said...

wow!

this is something I've never done!

When I was young my father had a small boat with motor, without sails...and I would luke to try once...o friend of mine owns a boat like yours but we never got to go together...

you are lucky!

about the weather, i'm sure you will enjoy november in barcelona, it will be warmer than your countries for most of you!

Kisses!

Henriikka said...

That really looks like fun!
You already promised to take me and Deb to sailing, when we come there, right?
Like Eli I've only been in a boat without sails, mostly rowing and so. Well where are those stupid photos? I came to see them.
No rush or anything, I'll just come to check every day if they have appeared here =)
Hugs!
(It's not so often when I get to send hugs to a Sir knight or his ghost =)

Anonymous said...

Hey, man! Don't you worry about the hostel. Everything is fine and we'll all sleep in the same room, with an extra bed! PARTY!!

Perhaps I'm as afraid of sailing in a small boat which I have to help controlling as you are of flying... Perhaps not. I never tried either. But... why would someone sail to an island just to drink coffee there? You're weird people, man. But I like weird people.

Besos, Elisa