Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas at my place

Christmas is over, once more. To be quite honest, I thought I would be happy to have it behind me, but then it turned out to be one of the nicest Christmas evenings in the last years. One more reason to share it with you and give you some insights into my family's Christmas traditions.



This is the Christmas table in my fathers house. We usually eat our special bread with different meats, cheeses, eggs and other things – quite simple but very nice. Although my parents are divorced, we spend Christmas together; my mom brings the dessert.



This is the tree, my father's masterpiece. It is decorated with a lot of nice, handmade things I don't know the English names for (Christmas balls?). The tradition is to sit around the tree and sing Christmas songs with my father playing a dulcimer; a small instrument that looks a little like a violin.



My father loves Christmas and decorates the whole house from top to bottom. Every year there are new items, new advent calendars, new lights. Everything shines and glows and makes you feel entirely warm.



This is me any my family, having our dessert. Afterwards, we went to Church, to a midnight mass. This is not really tradition, but my sisters are very religious and my parents like the music. Me and my father fell asleep though…



This is my father's best present: a table football game entirely made of wood and magnet. It's too hard to explain how it works. Anyway, you can see him play against my uncle, the other two are my cousins.



This is the famous Swiss bread, made in my father's stone oven. It is normally used for heating the house, but as the house is really old, we still have it as it was used to bake. The bread is the best you can every imagine.



This is my father, my uncle and my aunt. It's on the 25th in the house of my other uncle, where we are celebrating with my grandparents and the whole family of my father.



These are two of my cousins and you can see the problem. They are in their difficult years: early puberty. They rebel against everyone, although I need to say they were quite nice this year!



This, to finish off, is my grandmother. She is just as cool as my cousins, playing the electric guitar. Well, she does not really seem to like it, what do you think?

4 comments:

Henriikka said...

I can't see any problem..your cousins look cute, now i'm starting to like your plan that we should exchange cousins next christmas =) And your granny seems to be rocking so I think we should exchange grannies too ;)

Anonymous said...

Lukas, I'm shocked. You granny playing the electric guitar! Paura! I think I'll recommend that to mine, because she's bored quite often. Maybe her neighbours would complain a bit, but as soon as she starts playing well I'm sure they'll enjoy it too.

Well, your father's decoration is unbelievable. Maybe it's a bit too much, no? In such a small room... But I like it a lot, even though I don't believe in Christmas and all that stuff.

You know I would have never gone to Church, so I understand the falling asleep part... After all, as St. Peter said: "You shall not feel guilty for falling asleep during a boring mass". ¿No?

Anyway, the bread alone is worth showing a bit of Christmas spirit.

Besitos,
Elisa

Eli "Hey PEOPLE!!!" said...

Hello!

well, your father is like mine! all my house is fully decorated! the xmas three next to the main door, but then we have small decorations around the house..i didn't want any in my room but it turned out that even if you don't want, here's nothing tot do! every time i went out my room, when coming back in i found smth, like a santa's red hate, a fake green grass heart, a little bell...

well, my fther says that this is the way to have some different days, and i have to admit that this is true, during xmas everything is different, inside and outside the houses... and it's not bad!

MUAKS!

Alena said...

Hi Lukas,
It is very nice tha your parents spend chrismas together I am not sure if this is possible in my country. I don´t know many people who will be able to be together because of divorce.
and you grandmother - I am shock. How you wrote it is cool. What more to say.
Have a nice time.
Alena