Wednesday, September 27, 2006

L'Auberge Espagnole

It's impossible to tell you everything that happened during my time with Elisa in Spain. We spent 10 wonderful and truly unforgettable days of which I want to remember every moment. But this is a blog and not a three-volume-novel. So I will do it the Henriikka style and show you some selected pictures with comments.



This is the first picture I took, a few seconds after seeing Elisa at the airport, coming towards me out of the crowd. It was a magical moment and my heart was beating like crazy. After three months, I was back in Erasmus, with my best Erasmus friend whom I had last seen with tears running down my throat (wow, this is truly pathetic, no?)



It was only about 12 hours later that this picture was taken. I met Carmina at University, minutes before she and Elisa had an exam. She too had not changed and was still that intelligent, funny and dashing beauty.





To celebrate the end of their exam time, Elisa, Carmina and me went to a Kebab in Alicante, where they have a machine for toothbrushes in the toilet (condoms are out, you know, today it's toothbrushes!)



This is the thing I was most afraid to meet: the mistress of the worlds worst torturing chamber, the dreaded monster Elisa had warned me of so many times: her sister Alba. How happy was I to see that she was only half as evil as expected…



After I had met Alba, I also got to know Elisa's second sister Rosa. Here, we are with her at the beach on a cloudy, but nevertheless hot day. Aren't they cute?



And they, don't they look great? They are called churros and are a Spanish specialty. You drink them with really thick, hot chocolate – Henriikka would die for this, I am sure. One more thing she has to try in Barcelona. I bet she will never want to leave Spain again …



This picture was taken on an evening walk through Elisa's village Benimatell. It's a great place in a wonderful valley – you must to go there, Alena!



The second time we met Carmina we went to visit her town Alcoi. Before seeing the town though, we went to eat in an incredibly good Italian restaurant called 'Pasta Mania'. I get hungry looking at this picture (not because of Carmina, but because of the food…).



While digesting, we were sitting on this bench in a really nice park, not expecting anything bad to happen. Until two gipsies came from behind and scared the hell out of me. Well, they were really sorry afterwards when they learned I didn't speak Spanish and was a bit afraid. Still – PAURA!



Whoever is thinking about visiting Carmina: don't do it! Why? Because you will not want to leave Alcoi again. Apart from some really weird people that are living there (Carmina is the only normal person I met) it's a really nice town with beautiful buildings, nice parks and this wonderful square, where you can eat delicious ice creams! I already know I want to go back there!



This I had been waiting for all summer! It was my first real bath this year, apart from some experiments with the north sea in Aberdeen and a river on the Isle of Skye. If you are a bit worried about my sun-glasses, let me assure you that they are not mine and that I know that they are too cool (or in Spanish: chulo) for me!



An alternative to the beach is this artificial lake near Elisa's town.



One day, we wanted to go to a really nice beach with Elisa's friend Mari. After more than two hours we arrived at the entrance to the beach, and there I took this picture. Elisa has just been told that the beach is closed because they are making a film there (a porn, as we suspected). We hated them so much!



In this beautiful valley stands the country house of Elisa's family. Unfortunately, I have no picture of the time we spent there. I can assure you though that it is absolutely great and that you should insist on visiting it when you are going to see Elisa.



Of course, we were cooking a lot too. I had to prove my cooking skills and made Röschti, Tiramisu, bread and other things, which bought me even the sympathy of Alba.



This is my pyjama! It's a actually one of Elisa's T-shirts, but I borrowed it for the nights! It's now my favourite T-shirt and Elisa will give it to me in Barcelona, because I forgot it! Thanks again, Elisa, you are the best!



The last evening, we spent with Alba, Carmina's and Elisa's friend who came to visit them in Scotland (it's a bit confusing that there are two Albas, I know…). It was so nice to meet her again and we spent a great time together, making silly pictures.



This is Coral, another of Elisa's friends whom I liked from the beginning! She is living in the beautiful town of Elche, which she showed me in the hours before my flight home. She was not only really lovable, but also wore a similar T-shirt like me! I am happy so many people in Spain likes stripes!



The last picture of Elisa and me, again in Elche. I could not take another picture at the airport, because this time, our faces were not happy at all. It was sad to say goodbye again – but not as bad as in Aberdeen. First, because I know now that an Erasmus friendship can last despite of the distance. And second, because WE ARE ALL MEETING IN BARCELONA!

I miss you and love you all like mad! See you soon!

Lukas

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

People like, people like. Ten days in Spain and now you're making Spanish mistakes in English. Paura! Maybe you did it on purpose, no? :p I'm sorry I'm a bad influence for your English.

Thank you very much for the blog, Lukas. You're too nice to me, my family, my friends and my donkey. I'm sure Ceniza will be happy to hear your compliments. It's really a pitty that she didn't take pictures of us for her magazine. :p

I was also that happy when I first saw you in the airport... Well, I had been standing there for about half an hour, so even my legs were happy that you came in the end. No, really, it was great to see you again. I can't describe it either without pathetism, but I know everybody will understand in November.

By the way, I don't have that picture of me with the asco face when we found out that the beach was closed. Can you please send me the pictures from Saturday? Gracias, cielo. YOU are the best. Or, better, including Henriikka, me ollaan parhaita!

Un besazo,
Elisa

Henriikka said...

Oh Lukas, this is definitely my favorite of all of your posts. I laughed so much =) When I saw this last night I dreamed about our Erasmus group. I can't remember what was happening in the dream, but I remember that Eli said something funny. Spain seems like a wonderful place, and I'm afraid to go to Barcelona now, if this is all true (the hot chocolate food exists and everything) I definitely won't want to leave! Oh, the photos are really nice, I wish I had been there with you. One thing is for sure, I'm visiting Elisa and Carmina immediately!! You look so funny wearing similar T-shirts and I also your other T-shirt. I can't look it anymore, this is making me miss you guys even more than usual.
Lots of Love
Henriikka

Anonymous said...

hey wow, this looks just great! especially for someone who still has to survive 1 1/5 weeks in cold and rainy northern ireland! although i really love the countryside, all the sun in your picutres makes me feel a bit jealous! I hope to see you soon and wish you a great "lesen-treffen" on the first of october. greez claudia

karuchan said...

Ciao Lukasito!!
I love the way you explained your time in Spain, and I was so glad to take part in it too!! :D:D:D:D

Of course you are (as well as Henriikka and the rest of you all) more than welcome to my town. Take care!!!

Lukas said...

Thanks Carmina! I will take your word and come back someday... Hehe, I can't live the rest of my life without Pasta Mania in it...