Thursday, June 22, 2006

Left Behind – The First Week after Erasmus

The 10th of June was a terrible day. Not to anyone of course, but to a few Erasmus students in the fine and funky city of Aberdeen, Scotland. They suffered many painful goodbyes and more tears were flowing out of their sad eyes than drops of water down the River Don. Only three of them stayed in the granite city and after they had dried their swollen eyes they decided to make the best of the week they could spend together. What did they do in this week, you may wonder. You shall know if you read on.



After Jacqueline, Annalisa, Elisa, Carmina and Ale had left, Eli, Andrea, Henriikka and me took a taxi – well, five taxis – and moved our stuff to Deburahs and Henriikkas new home on 51 Great Northern Road. We arrived tired and emotionally exhausted and slept for quite a while. We made some crêpes to cheer us up and started to sort out the tons of stuff we got from everybody who had left. Bags of food had to be examined, bags of cutlery, plates and cups to be stored somewhere. Henriikka had the most ambitious task: packing her luggage for going home on the next day. She ended up with two suitcases, six handbags and a guitar. Eli and Deburah, both showing an increasing mother instinct, repacked all her stuff, while Henriikka was just thinking positive that nobody will charge her overweight. She had 15 kilos, but was right: she got away with it and not even paid a bloody penny.



What did we do after Henriikka left and the first breakfast in our new house was making itself comfortable in our stomachs? We went to sleep again, of course! We had a lot of sleep to catch up from the final Erasmus week. I had the dubious pleasure to share my bed with beautiful Eli and her friend Pinky. Now that I have seen Pinky in the dark (he becomes alive!) I can say to have seen the best in life!



This picture will be familiar to you from Elis Blog. Yes, the new week was dedicated to the wonderful creation of Houmous! We found out that if we would buy 5 boxes of it we would get the three balls for free. What did we do? Of course we bought the 5 boxes and took great pleasure in playing with the balls. To Deburah's relief they had no pubes (short for pubic hair, which she hates more than anything) on them.



Obviously, we spent a lot of time eating houmous. Every lunch consisted of at least one houmous toast until we couldn't see the stuff anymore. Luckily, I had the idea of making Falafel and therefore fry the houmous for a change of taste.



Yes, this picture was taken in Scotland! The whole week after the disastrous weekend was hot and sunny! On Tuesday, we walked to the lighthouse on the Southern side of Aberdeen and were sunbathing. Andrea even dared to take a bath in the sea, despite of the freezing water! Congratulations!



While walking along the beach we taught each other nasty words, especially Eli, who had learned a lot from Jacqueline. I can't believe that good-looking, serious Canadian girl knows so many metaphors for genitals and sexual practises. I was scandalised! However, Deburah and Eli had a lot of pretty funny discussions about sex and I heard a lot more than I would have wanted to hear … Okay, let's change the subject! Birthday! But before, a nice picture of Eli, taken on the walk along the beach.



Of course I had to cook something special for my birthday party, to which also David and Lucia showed up. I made a non-vegetarian lasagne for the first time in five months and – of course – some Falafel as a starter. David brought a great cake covered with Nutella, which was truly delicious. Before the dessert, however, Eli had the task to cut my hair. I wanted to use a pound-land trimmer, but it broke before we even began to cut it. What was left was the pound-land scissor and after I had convinced Eli that I would not be mad if it went wrong, she began her work…



It took a while, as the scissor was pretty bad! Nevertheless Eli managed to give me exactly the haircut I wanted and it was a lot better than I had expected. I think I will fly to Barcelona to have my hair cut from now on! Eli is a great haircutter! Well, actually she is generally great…



This is how I looked after Eli performed her skills on my skull. A minute later, our mouths were full of cake and my hands full of presents. A lot of stupid pictures followed, centring on my almost shaven head.



Silly pictures played a big part during the whole week anyway and instead of telling sadly how Eli and Andrea finally left for home I'd rather show you some of them. No comments necessary.









Now, I'm on my own, but that does not mean that the era of stupid pictures is over. I will give my best to take some soon in order to make you laugh and preventing you from forgetting me. I miss you a lot and hope you will leave a comment on the blog!

Lukas

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lukasito!!!

Since I arrived here my mother just wants me to loose some weight! Salad, salad and salad...which is good, but what about your fabulous cookings!!

I'll reply your mail as soon as possible, because this is a very beautiful and busy week...I've been surprising al my friends...some cryed, and all of them hugged me and kissed me while saying "Eli, Eli, i can't believe", they showed me that how happy they are to have me here...and I'm glad because of that...it's easier to adapt! Nice blog by the way!!

Take care Lukasito cariño!!!

I won't forget you...It'd be too difficult!

karuchan said...

Dear Husband,

It is certainly a pleasure to be able to follow your adventures in Aberdeen without your wife and Erasmus friends. I will make sure that Deburah takes care of you (or at least does not freak you out too much!) so that you are still alive when you come back to our lovely cottage in Spain and cook for us a lot, "beeeeello"!!!

Thanks for the blog, it is a great idea!

Love,

Your Wife.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

fantastic blog! Thanks for making our adventures of that week public! It was a wonderful time! I'm looking forward to seeing new silly pictures made by Lukas! :-)

Love, Andrea