Sunday, June 25, 2006

Bridget and her Brother



I missed a lot of useful flat equipment during my time in Hillhead. The only thing I surprisingly did not miss at all was a TV. Erasmus life is too exciting to watch anything except weird films and so I forgot there even was such as thing as television. I came to remember it from the first evening I spent in Deburah's flat on Great Northern Road. Deb had only been living there for a few days and had already turned into a TV Junkie. Who can blame her? The poor lassie is working ten hours a day – how can you have any more energy after that? The same is true for Sarah, our English flatmate. The evening therefore belongs to the telly, where fast food menus are consumed, followed by cigarettes. In the best case, the dinner table looks like this…



In the worst, like this …



You might wonder what highly intelligent programs and movies we watch. Well, the most challenging program we watch is football. However, number one on the hit list is – I am ashamed to confess – Big Brother. Of course we pretend to hate it, but the truth is we couldn't miss a minute of it. Although there are four terribly ugly women with artificial boobs – one of Deb's favourite discussion topic – and four terrible guys which are all mentally ill, we assemble with great joy every day to see what they were up to. The highlight of our week is Friday: eviction day! Each Friday, one of the housemates is sent home and the public can vote whom they want out. Believe it or not, Deb voted three times for a girl called Lisa, whom we all similarly hate. The following picture shows Deb and me shortly before Lisa is leaving …



Are we turning in three Bridget Jones'? Deb already told me to call her only Bridget and we start to show several symptoms of early midlife crisis. While in fact, we only miss Erasmus! That's what happens to people who suddenly don't get mails from Eli to be at Central Building at 7 pm, to people who don't get phone-call-invitations to watch a film from the library. The Erasmus crisis has hit us hard and turned us into mindless TV-Junkies.



If you feel sorry for us and want us to stay alive, here is what you can do: Write to Channel 4 and ask them to take Big Brother out of the program!!! The first days will be hard for us, but after, let's say, a month's recovery we will be so grateful.

Lukas

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lukas!!
Me parto de la risa. It's so funny! Thanks for the blog! It's very nice and, after reading this, I'm more decided that the best place to be is home, where I don't need to see Big Brother!!!
Ok, I should be studying, but... I was being so productive for almost an hour that I needed a break.
Besos,
Elisa

Anonymous said...

By the way, you did NEVER touch those cigarettes, did you?