Sunday, October 23, 2011

Home sweet Home I

Three weeks ago, we moved into our new home. The week before we had cut down trees and bushes, painted walls and drove around the city to buy paint, brushes, tools, gardening equipment and lots of stuff we needed to make the house livable. Moving was a pain in the ass, as it always is, and I couldn't sleep the first night because my body ached so much from all the lifting and shifting, but it turned out to be totally worth it - the views alone compensated us for all pain suffered.

The first thing we noticed when unpacking was how much stuff we had had back in our city flat. We now had six rooms to live in instead of 3, but still our stuff didn't seem to fit. Only yesterday, when the guest room got its new floor and was ready to be furnished, we managed to fit most of our stuff into the rooms. Still, a lot is still improvised, and it will take us half a year at least until everything is as it is supposed to be. But well, I couldn't let you wait half a year for the pictures, which is why I made some of what the inside of the house looks like now:

This is one of the nicest pieces of furniture we have: a very old, turquoise cupboard that contains all our cooking books and board games.

This is my office - huge, as it should be. It's the first time I have office and bed in a separate room, which is very cool and motivates you so much more to work.

This us Sandra's office, right next to mine. Her's is slightly bigger, but as you can see from her bookshelves, she needs a lot more room than me.

This is the still unfinished living room, with the TV taking away part of the view of the nice fireplace away. Still, the living room is huge and great to live in.


The really cool thing about having your own house is that you can paint everything exactly the way you want. I made a start by painting one wall of my bedroom green (Sandra's is blue, by the way) and I love it!

This room, finally, is the Erasmus guest room! We repainted the whole room, made a new floor and put a bed and a bedsofa in there, so that three people can sleep in this room alone. And because we've got many other rooms to sleep in, the house will soon be ready to host the next Erasmus meeting. So keep in mind - next autumn, this is where you'll wake up :-)

No comments: